Monday, March 21, 2005

Caveat: Lengthy Post

I got through my first week of work at DSI. Yey! :) I still have to acclimatize myself with waking up at 6:30 every morning. So far, so good. However, I noticed that by Thursday my body was starting to act stubbornly. Waking up beacame a bit more difficult. Thank god for the short walk from the MRT station to the office. At least that gets the blood circulating. I also noticed that by the end of the week, my mind was giving my body permission to crash. By Friday's end, my body was so tired it was ready to collapse. But I couldn't let it. We had a gig scheduled last Friday at Big Sky Mind. And masochist that I am, I just had to stay chatting with friends until 5:30am. Yes, I'm trying to kill myself. As if that wasn't enough, I had to wake up at 9:30am yesterday for an editing. With only two and a half hours of sleep, I mustered all the strength that I could to get out of bed, take a shower, and trudge to the production house. My hands were numb, my head was reeling, my comprehension was slow. It took so much effort to do the simplest things. Lack of sleep coupled with a nasty, ass-kicking, head-splitting, hangover. It just had to be that way. Gah.

But I got through the day. And now, I feel that I've gotten enough rest to sustain me for the coming week. Assuming that I'll be sleeping early tonight and the succeeding days. Hehe.

You know, I missed so many people--friends I haven't seen in ages! And the sad thing was, I only realized I missed them when I saw them. Night 'til daybreak wasn't enough to catch up on everything. But we did manage to talk about the heart of matters. And matters of the heart. We've realized that growing up isn't an easy task: planning for the future becomes more urgent and problems become more complicated. Suddenly, not everything is black-and-white or cut-and-dried. You have to be more flexible with your decisions. I'm sorry for being cryptic; some things just can't be shared. But this I'm willing to share: no matter what happens, I will always be here for my friends. I may not see them often, but the minute they come running to me crying, I'll bash the offender's head in to tomorrow. Or something.

On a lighter note, this is what arrived last week. I'm still drooling over it so my keyboard is a bit messy right now.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Don't you just love the brilliant man?


Oh, and I just learned that Mike Carey (Lucifer) and Glenn Fabry (Endless Nights, Hellblazer, and The Preacher) worked on the comic adaptation of Neverwhere due out, maybe, in June--another thing to look forward to and save up for, along with Gaiman's latest novel, The Anansi Boys (coming out last quarter of the year). Also, don't forget Neil Gaiman and Dave Mckean's brainchild, Mirrormask! I am almost trembling with excitement over all these fantastic things to come! :D

Movies and corresponding toys to look forward to:
Star Wars: Episode III-Revenge of the Sith - toys due out in April (at least in the States)
Mirrormask - I still don't have news if some compnay will be getting the rights for toy production, but I do know that the OST will be coming out in September
Sin City - toys coming out soon (movie-accurate figures of Marv, Yellow Bastard, Manute, and Hartigan by NECA)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - toys coming out mid-year
Robots - toys out now, I believe (I think I've already seen some in the malls)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - release date of toys yet to be revealed but there will be an articulated 12-inch Willy Wonka and an in-scale Oompa Lumpa fig!
Fantastic Four - first and second waves will be out soon, if they haven't been released already
Batman Begins - 5-inch figures to be released by Mattel in May; statues to be released by DC Direct
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - we don't collect Harry Potter toys, just books and movies
The Wallace and Gromit Movie: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - no news about toys yet, but the movie sounds interesting; stars Helena Bonham Carter, Peter Sallis, and Ralph Fiennes
The Chronicles of Narnia - collectibles range from action figures to statues to movie replicas

Let's go a year further and list some must-sees in 2006:
Indiana Jones 4
Iron Man
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Superman Returns
X-Men 3

And to further spice up your day like it did mine, read this quirky article. As if things weren't weird enough, the hubby, having just woken up, told me about his dream that David Lee Roth was getting us as sessionists for his world tour. Yeah, the old geezer must have his consciousness working so hard dreaming of a comeback that he actually was able to invade people's subconscious. David Lee Roth. LOL! What could be more absurd than that?

Shucks, I just realized I forgot to invite Kai to the gig last Friday. I promise I won't forget next time. :)

Whew, what a lengthy post. Looks like I really missed blogging.

5 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Ver said...

That used to happen a lot, losing sleep because of activity overload. But of course, the body starts to complain. Hehe. It's nice you're job is "so far, so good". God bless!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger bullish1974 said...

ok, that was a lengthy post indeed, but an interesting one :)

wow, you really need to save up substantial nest egg for those toys! i'm thinking they are...expensive?

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger haiku said...

Ver - Thanks! I'm getting used to waking up early. In fact there are times that I would just automatically wake up minutes before the alarm goes off. :)

Mike - Glad to have caught your interest. :) We're not collecting all of those toys. Just some. They are quite expensive. :p

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger lengirl said...

yay to a good (first) week at work! we're opposites naman, i'm such a morning person i beginning to question if it's normal. morning classes during college, and sign-on shift since i started working!

the jim henson toy is amazing! well, i'm not really into toys, but jim henson is indeed a brilliant man :)

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger haiku said...

Thanks! I hope this enthusiasm I have for work lasts. :) Grabe, ako naman ever since insomniac. But in the short span that I've been working, I've already managed to discipline my body to feel sleepy by 10pm. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home