Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Fried Chips

When sorrows come, they come not in single spies, but in battalions. -- Shakespeare.

When expenses come, they come not in single pesos, but in thousands. -- Me.

My motherboard and processor got fried two days ago. Turned out, the fan perched on top of the processor tray got dislodged. How it happened, I leave to mystery. Good thing the HD wasn't damaged. Had it been so, I'd not only be set back financially, but also spiritually. Part of my sould resides in the hard drive. That's where most of my thoughts and visions lie.

Mental note: Back up Drive D.

My CPU was only three years old before it met its untimely death. It was as reliable as they come, though a bit (just a bit) on the slow side. Not that it really mattered at the time. I notice it now because with this new set, booting takes seconds, installations are quicker, and programs load faster. However, XP still takes forever to shut down. Well, a minute short of forever this time since the processor's faster.

Last night I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning spring cleaning the hard drive. I threw most of the old files away. I have this habit of saving stuff I come across on the net but don't have time to read, and eventually forgetting about them. I also have tons of duplicate pictures because when I resize them for posting, I don't throw the original away. I guess I really have to be more assertive in that aspect from now on. Junk piles as easily in your drive as it does in your room. It's insidious.

Below are the books that have been keeping me busy. I've finished Murder Mysteries already. I think I like the short story version better. Maybe because I read it first. But I think it's really different when you read something and the visualualization is left to your imagination. The comic book adaptation is still nice to have in one's collection, though.


I am currently reading The Watchmen. This is the first Alan Moore book that I'll be tackling. I like how it uses both script and narrative to further involve the reader in the Watchmen's world. I swear, there really must be something in the water in Britain. How do they come up with such literary geniuses? Maybe it's in the teeth. Okay, mean joke. Scratch that.

After The Watchmen, next in line is Lucifer Vol. 2. This is something that I've lagged behind on. The trade paperback edition is now in the seventh volume. I just don't have the money to buy everything. Especially now (refer to above computer mishap). Hopefully, by the time I finish the second, I'll have the dough to buy the third. A book at a time. If only TPBs weren't so expensive! Sigh.

I was also planning on enrolling in a gym. But now, with the money gone to the new chips, the only workout I'll be having is typing. I have to milk this thing for what it's worth. Need to get more writing gigs. With that, I end this entry. Time to fix my portfolio.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger bullish1974 said...

"Part of my soul resides in the hard drive." -- lol! yeah, part of mine, too. the other part resides in my cellular phone.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger haiku said...

You really shouldn't lose your mobile phone then. For lost souls, home is a long way back.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also have that habit of keeping duplicate pictures -- and a lot of other files, though they're neatly classified in my folders. I guess it's the pack rat mentality: What if I need it later on? And you know what, I never do!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger haiku said...

LOL! That is so true. That also goes for most of the stuff I have in our room--and my closet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home