Monday, January 31, 2005

It's All About What?

It's All About Love. That's what the title said. But, really, what the hell was it all about? I didn't understand an effin' thing about the film. All throughout I tried to stay alert, afraid of missing the one clue that will lead me to enlightenment. So, I was gripped by anxiety, awaiting the climax or the startling revelation that, horror of horrors, failed to come. The film ended without me grasping the plot, much less the underlying theme. All I remember is the surrealistic flying Ugandans scene towards the end. Oh, and also when husband and wife John and Elena, played by Joaquin Phoenix and Claire Danes, died in the snow due to exposure. (Well, hello! Their wardrobe was in no way suited for that kind of harsh climate. I'm surprised they even got to trek that far in the snow.) In the end, I guess love conquered all--well, uh, except death.

From beginning to end the movie was peppered with disjointed vignettes that I'm too irritated to write about for they just didn't make any sense. I'm not going to bother writing the events that led the characters to that barren land of ice nor am I even going to waste precious internet time by giving you the film synopsis. What an utter waste of time and money, I'm sorry to say. I can't believe I sat through two hours of that. Ugh.

I think there was one thing the movie got right, though: the world doesn't make sense. They definitely did a damn good job of portraying that.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger bullish1974 said...

hahahaha! i haven't seen the film yet. and it looks like i'm not going to watch it. i never liked claire danes anyway.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger haiku said...

I never liked Claire Danes either! I just watched it because of Joaquin Phoenix and Sean Penn. ;) Plus, it's the only movie that my friends haven't seen yet. I guess the movie being set in the future perked my interest. I wasn't aware at all that it would be such a headache-inducing experience! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home