Friday, January 21, 2005

About a Sport, a Movie, and an Album

Played badminton with the hubby for two hours this afternoon. Surprisingly, no muscle aches this time. My body's probably gotten used to the sport. Woot! Tomorrow will see another badminton session, with brother and cousin and girlfriend.

I just watched "Supersize Me" this evening. Man, Morgan Spurlock sure had the guts to undergo his health-jeopardizing experiment. And, thankfully, still had his guts intact afterwards. At least his docu was able to spur a much needed change in the American fast food system, and maybe in the school cafeteria system, too. Having seen the dangers of eating fast food and all (McDonald's, especially), I'm still not dissuaded from future Twister Fries and Caramel Sundae binges. Actually, nowadays, I'd rather have Jollibee's Strawberry Shake than any kind of sundae. Yummy! Now you see why I have to undergo such a strenuous exercise as badminton.

Feels good to be finally doing something aside from being cooped up in the house. I really feel a difference after working out a sweat. Even if it's only in my delusional mind that I feel healthier, it sure beats feeling weak and bored most of the time. I do have to strengthen my lungs again. Those years of smoking left me gasping for breath and tiring easily. Or probably there's something wrong with the way I breathe or take in oxygen while exercising. I notice this always happens to me while jogging or playing badminton: I get red in the face when exerting much effort. Lack of oxygen in the brain, perhaps? But when I feel that I'm going to pass out, I stop and rest for awhile. Or slow down my pace. That usually does the trick. Then I go outrun some imaginary tri-athlete or go slam that shuttlecock right smack in my opponet's face. Of course the latter is an exaggeration. I'm not that good. Yet. ;)

I'm listening to Duncan Sheik's Phantom Moon right now (album courtesy of bandmate Joon). It's not what I'd really call happy music. It's reminiscent of Elliot Smith. Some songs are just so heartbreaking they're bordering on suicide music. But it's perfect late at night. I have to hand it to Duncan Sheik: he has that kind of voice that just rends your heart to pieces. It breaks into your veins and consumes your whole body. Suddenly, you feel what he's feeling. It's more than empathy; it's some kind of assimilation that's happened. I guess that's the charm of his songs and his voice. Thank you, Joon! It's a much loved album. :)

Well, that's it for now. Run along.

3 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger lengirl said...

props to you! i want to get to play serious badminton too, or engage in any sport that would make me work up a sweat. i've been really busy but i doubt if any of the things i do for work would suffice as a form of exercise. i can't believe i actually miss the gym! ehehe!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Ver said...

You're taking the right steps, I guess because it all begins in the mind. If you feel healtier now even if you're not, chances are that you're going to be healthier.

Hope you're having a nice weekend!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger haiku said...

Len-- Exercise is good, especially for busy people like yourself. You and Edward have to come play with us one of these weekends! Tara, let's schedule it! ;)

Ver-- Yeah, I've realized that exercise is my friend. I've noticed changes in my mood and my outlook has become more positive. It really is perfect for achieving a sense of well-being. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home