Saturday, October 09, 2004

don't rock my boat

There was an earthquake again. I was checking my mail and browsing through sites when a spell of dizziness washed over me. It took me a moment to notice that my monitor was swaying (I thought it was my glasses that was making me dizzy). That's when I realized the fault line's at fault again.

Whew, that one lasted a bit longer than the intensity-4(?) earthquake a couple of weeks ago. I woke up my hubby and told him there's an earthquake. He caught the tail-end. My Mom woke up too, and we decided to rouse my Dad as well. You see, ours is a pretty old house; earthquakes cannot be taken lightly. Thankfully, the tremors didn't get any stronger and eventually stopped in 15 seconds, give or take. No aftershocks, either.

On a related note, the first thing I try to sense during these times are the animals' reactions. I also try to think back if they had any premonition of the quake at all. Science says that if there's going to be any kind of natural catastrophe, animals go into a frenzy, or, less dramatically, behave oddly. But, during both quakes, I didn't even hear the dogs bark, or the rabbits scuffle, or the cats chase an imaginary foe on the neighbor's rooftop. Our housecat* did scuttle up the stairs to us. But that was post-quake--the feline was probably "shaken" by the
earth-rumble--so it doesn't count as a premonitory action. Hmmm...I'm onto one of my sensless musings again, aren't I? And because I don't know where this thread is going, I'm just gonna end it right after the ensuing punctuation mark.

*Who, because of his accidental adoption (we had no intention of keeping him at first, so we didn't really give him a proper name) and the lack of creativity of the household, has been christened "Kuting" (transl: Kitty). He'll be carrying that name for the rest of his life, unfortunately. Hmmm. Come to think of it, maybe tomorrow I'll give him a more decent name. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home