Tuesday, October 19, 2004

blog backlog

I have been going out more often than usual the past week--which is a good thing. Except that I didn't get to write as much as I should have, or at least, as much as I would've wanted. Gigs, malling, and a party were last week's day-fillers (aside from the infinite house chores). So this week will be my rest and preparation period before I go to Bicol next week. I'll be gone for six days and will be missing two gigs! One of which is the last leg of Oktoberfest. Waaah! They're getting someone to sub for me. Or I think the drummer will be playing bass and so they're getting a session drummer. I see they have a penchant for making life complicated. :p Then again, maybe it's a sound decision; after all, Joon (the percussionist) was the original bassist of the band. Only when the original drummer (who happens to be his brother) quit did he take the sticks, leaving the role of bassist open. That's where I came in. Whew, I guess I just gave you a bit of our band's history.

As I have been running about last week, I didn't get the chance to post the videoke pics. See, I have to upload the images during off-peak hours, meaning past 12mn, so I get to do it for free; else, I will be wasting precious internet time if I do it during peak hours. Everybody knows it takes forever to upload these things! Which reminds me, I have to make good on my promise to send Joon, via email, the pictures of the sing-along night. This note serves as my reminder.

******

Went to a party last Saturday--Dante's surprise birthday party. A very interesting night. I got to bond with a long-time friend, opts. Funny how we never really talked much about personal stuff before then. It was nice having gotten to know him better. And now I know his dirty little secrets which I'll be selling for $5 apiece. Hehe.

The thing about surprises is that I'm never really good at it. I tend to over-anticipate the surprise that by the time we get to "Surprise!" my hands are all cold and my heart's beating fast because of the anxiety of waiting in the dark. There have been lots of instances where I try to surprise my hubby but end up startling myself. Especially when I hide somewhere and wait for him to pass by; the waiting is unbearable with the tension building each passing second. So when he finally appears, I'm the one who jerks by surprise. I guess I'm a nervous person. :p

******

I'm back to reading books again from weeks of comic books. Right now it's Anne Rice's Violin. The first few chapters were spent describing the heroine's quasi-necrophilia. Not really my cup of tea. I'd reather read about blood and gore than someone romancing the dead. But, having gone past those chapters, I'm beginning to enjoy the book; it's picking up pace. Though, it's too early for me to recommend it. I'll just give my rating once I've finished reading it.

I never got to finish Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I have to read his earlier books first. That one's a rather tedious read what with all the esoteric information supplied by the author, more than half of which is unfamiliar to me. So I decided to start with his less complex works and try to gather the guts to finish Foucault's Pendulum in the process.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm trying to remember... you did read name of the rose in high school right? i thought a lot of us did. i haven't bothered to read foucault's pendulum because there are just too many books. it's one of those things that i know i'll get around to eventually. did you already get copies of the whole dark tower series?

swampie

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger haiku said...

I think most of us watched the movie instead of reading the book; at least the ones I've been hanging out with. I never got to watch nor read it. Haven't gotten copies of the DT series yet. We're saving up for the Marvel Legends 7 set. By the way, I saw the coffetable version of Abarat! It's out already! My, oh my, but how expensive! I'll just wait for the illustrated paperback edition to come out. Besides, that's what I bought the first time.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Focault's Pendulum still tedious now that you know more about the mystery of the Templars (after the Da Vinci Code)? I loved that book. Like a giant conspiracy theory. But yeah it's a hard read.

- opts

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger haiku said...

Well, actually, the tedious part is the first few chapters. It's heavily detailed with information about ALL sorts of things. I haven't gotten to the part of the Templars yet. Good thing they are not that arcane to me anymore, because of, like you said, The Da Vinci Code. I'm sure I just have to get past those chapters then the rest will be easy reading, relatively speaking, that is. Besides, we have print-outs about the Templars and Masons; Mike researched on them when he read Foucault's. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home