Sunday, August 08, 2004

shuttlecocks, sheep, and sleep

I have just woken up from a two-hour nap.

Having had only five hours of sleep, I surprised myself when I still managed to spend two hours this morning playing badminton with my bro and my cousin and his girlfriend. What a workout it was! Actually broke some good sweat which is real good. Haven't had any kind of exercise for weeks now. I used to do some crunches and jumping jacks in the afternoons, but I became too busy doing nothing that my daily exercise soon waned. After badminton, we went home to have lunch.

Then we played the ever-so-entertaining Star Wars Monopoly (this time my Jedi concentration didn't work so well, I lost) all the while snacking on munchkins and chips. I guess our metabolism was racing from all the running and smashing we did on the court. After that, I cooked tuna pasta. We ate around 6ish, afterwhich I soon conked out. I was so spent I think I fell asleep while my hubby was giving me a strip tease. LOL!

It was my first time to play badminton in a looooong time. Maybe in some 10 odd years! I never realized I love the game. It gets all your muscles worked up (not to mention your vocal cords when you passionately scream "MINE!") and you break out buckets of sweat you feel like you already lost a couple of pounds afterwards. I hope our plans of a rematch will push through next weekend. It's just what I need to burn off excess calories, and, hopefully, fats as well. :P

My muscles have started to ache. I'm sure as hell I'll be walking funny tomorrow. Especially when going down the stairs. And I have a strong feeling my right arm will stay glued to my side the whole day. So, if I bump into you, no hard feelings if I don't wave hi. It's better I don't attempt to do it than have my arm fall like lead halfway up and make me look like a complete dork.

******

I would've loved it if I could've slept 'til morning. However, I had to get up because I still had not brushed my teeth yet. Brushing before bedtime is one of the rituals of hygiene I never fail to practice. Even when I'm dead drunk (especially when I'm dead drunk) and I can barely aim the toothpaste on my toothbrush (the easiest thing to do would be to just smear toothpaste all over your teeth and gums and then start brushing).

Anyways, back to the topic at hand...I got back into bed, but I could not go back to sleep. I just kept tossing and turning, (displacing the bedsheets in the process) and computing how much money I would need to buy myself a car, a house, and all the toys my heart desires (my being jobless notwithstanding). IMHO, counting sheep is overrated. I remember one time I counted to about a thousand sheep. In the end, I couldn't sleep with all the "Baa-ing" in my head. Also, adding to the mental labor, I had to build them a corral so I wouldn't mess up my count with all the sheep running around. I had wanted to separate the males from the females, but I knew if I started that, I was pretty sure I would never have finished until daybreak. Now, with those sheep concerns, how could one sleep?

Anyways, again, as I was saying (geez, I digress too much), I couldn't recapture sleep because my senses probably got stimulated by the mint toothpaste. Or, in the short time that I made the trip to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, my body returned to its normal rhythm. When I checked the time and saw it was only 10pm, my mind probably then dictated to my body that it was too early to sleep. Now I'm afraid, having rested and all, I will continue to be awake, scouring the cyber wasteland for lost words until shut-eye automatically comes at 4am. Sigh. Bad habits are indeed hard to break.

2 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger haiku said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger haiku said...

Not! You're evil, leroy brown. :p Actually, I did give them names: Ernest, Coks, Kris, Rachel, Charmaine, Adam...I'm guessing you pretty much know who the rest are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home